Debates among analysts
- The UN Intervention Brigade in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gen. Patrick Cammaert and Fiona Blyth, International Peace Institute, 2013.
- UN’s elite force raises the stakes in DRC, Carol Jean Gallo and Christoph Vogel, Al Jazeera, July 16, 2013.
- DRC: Assessing the performance of MONUSCO’s Force Intervention Brigade, African Arguments, Christoph Vogel, 14 July 2014.
- The Intervention Brigade: Legal Issues for the UN in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Scott Sheeran and Stephanie Case for the International Peace Institute,
- Is the Force Intervention Brigade neutral? Institute for Security Studies, 27 November 2014.
- On the issues of drones used by FIB, I recommend you take a look at a 2014 joint NGO letter here, here and here.
- For a critical analysis of ‘Islands of Stability’ – following military operations – see the discussion by Christoph Vogel.
Concerns by humanitarians
Several NGOs including NRC, MSF, Oxfam, Refugees International, CAFOD have issued concerns about the FIB.
- NRC warns against excessive faith in new force, Olivia Kallis for Norwegian Refugee Council, April 26, 2013.
- Joint NGO letter to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, “Progress Needed in DRC,” May 28, 2013.
- Bertrand Perrochet, “MSF accuse l’ONU d’entretenir la confusion à l’Est,” Direct.cd, July 5, 2013.
- DR Congo unrest: Fears over UN intervention, Mark Doyle, BBC News, July 25, 2013.
- Oxfam reaction to UN announcement on the enforcement of a security zone and call for disarmament in Goma and Sake, Oxfam International Press release, July 31, 2013.
- Escalating violence in DR Congo pushes humanitarian situation to crisis point, Catholic Agency for Overseas Development, August 9, 2013.